HomePatient ResourcesMedical Records / ROI

Our COVID-19 vaccine scheduling website is open for ages 18+

 -Fort Knox workforce (including Contractors who get shots for job)
-Service members (active and reserve)
-Service member dependents
-Retirees and their dependents (EVEN IF DON’T RECEIVE CARE AT IRELAND CLINIC)

Follow this link to our scheduling website
(Note: click on the calendar date NUMBERS, not the date box. Enter dates using format MM/DD/YYYY including / symbols)

Medical Records / Release of Information

We are located on the second floor of Ireland Army Health Clinic. Walk up the main staircase, follow the railing wrapping right around the glass balcony, and continue towards the door with a colorful stained glass window, turn left, we’re at the end of the hallway.

Call our helpful Medical Records section for information and answers to your records-related questions. Phone 502-626-9830.

Adding Civilian Records to your Military Records
Medical Records will retrieve medical records from a civilian facility at the patient’s request. Once these medical records arrive here, they are scanned into the patient’s outpatient record.

If you need medical documentation for your personal record, you can submit a request through at the Medical Records section
Requesting a copy of your Military Records
Medical Records can provide a digital copy of your medical records on a CD. You can also request radiology images from Medical Records. The Medical Records staff have up to 30 days to fulfill medical records requests. After being copied, records can be picked up in person or sent through a secure e-mail service within 30 business days (6 weeks).
Requests for medical records require a filled out and signed DD FORM 2870 and proper identification. Civilian medical organizations requesting patient medical records may use their own release forms in lieu of DD FORM 2870.

No adults can access another adult's (age 18+) medical records without proper authorization and identification cards issued by the Department of Defense or valid DEERS enrollment.
There are a several ways to request medical records:
-View and download your health records on the Tricare Online Patient Portal https://www.tricareonline.com - click the blue Health Record button. Documents like lab work, radiology, office notes, medication list and immunization records can be found here. 

-In person on the second floor of the clinic at the Medical Records customer service window
-Email usarmy.knox.medcom-irach.list.outpatient-records@mail.mil – include copy of military identification card front and back
-Fax 502-624-9247, include copy of military identification card front and back
-Current Soldiers can access their Official Military Personnel File Documents (OMPFD) which includes medical records using the interactive Personnel Electronic Records Management System (iPERMS) (CAC required) https://www.hrc.army.mil/TAGD/Accessing%20or%20Requesting%20Your%20Official%20Military%20Personnel%20File%20Documents or call or 1-888-ARMYHRC (1-888-276-9472)   

Beneficiaries are entitled to one free personal copy of their medical record, per AR 40-66.

Click HERE to download a DD Form 2870 (Authorization for Disclosure of Medical or Dental Information)

Requesting Archived Medical Records
If discharged on or after 1 Jan 2014, the military services sent/send records to the following service-specific place for archiving seen here https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/medical-records.html Contact the appropriate agency for details on the information needed to process your request.
To get your 1 Jan 2004-present records (from any MTF) in digital format is to request them here: https://walterreed.tricare.mil/Patient-Resources/Medical-Records
Use a SF180 to request medical and service records. Information on where and how to request is most-clearly conveyed on page 3 of an SF180. Pay closes attention, as Soldiers’ date of separation determines where their records were archived. Sometimes medical was archived at a different location than service records.
Here’s an example of the some of the types of information page 3 of an SF 180 and some internet research conveys: Request records by calling (866) 272-6272. Ask average amount of months it’s taking to receive a CD in the mail…to manage your expectations (can take 6 months or more). They’ll instruct you to fill out a Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records (SF180) and mail to:
AMEDD Record Processing Center
3370 Nacogdoches Road, Suite 116
San Antonio, TX 78217
Medical and Service records used to be archived at the National Records Personnel Center in St. Louis, Missouri until the 1990’s (different dates for different military branches). Check page 3 of an SF180 for specifics. Request retired records from NRPC online at www.archives.gov/veterans
Helpful records requesting information (no federal endorsement intended)
Outprocessing: PCS, Chapter, ETS, Separating or Retiring
All Soldiers preparing to PCS, Chapter, ETS or Retire are required to out-process through the medical records section. Soldiers should visit the medical record office to provide orders or to request a copy of their records. Soldiers should visit the Medical Records window for information regarding remote areas without military treatment facilities (Tricare Prime Remote), transfer of active duty (Service Treatment Records) and family member medical records.
Service members who are ETS’ING or RETIRING from military service must request a copy of their Service Treatment Records at least 90-180 days before leaving.
Having your records can be helpful for remembering healthcare history when filing a Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) Veterans Affairs Disability Claim. BDD Claims are filed 3 to 6 months prior to discharge, enabling Servicemembers to go from their last military paycheck to their first disability check seamlessly.

Birth Certificates (Past Births):

Office of Vital Statistics

Obtaining a DD214
DD214 is a form issued upon discharge containing basic information about your military service. There are several ways to get your DD214, listed here https://www.va.gov/records/get-military-service-records/
Accessing your earned VA benefits
 Military service can take a toll on the body and mind. The Department of Veterans Affairs is ready to help and will take care of your health conditions caused or aggravated by service if you file a Disability Claim and the condition is found to be service-connected.
VA benefits are an earned benefit for all veterans who serve (Reserve and Guard) or served, compensating veterans for conditions and injuries caused by military service.  
Disabilities are rated as percentages, from 0% to 100%, and percentages are tied to cost-free healthcare and compensation (money direct-deposited into your bank account every month, for life). If rated at certain levels, VA DIC benefits continue to surviving family members upon a veteran’s death.
Filing VA Disability Claim without Medical Records
Claims can be filed without providing medical records, as the VA’s Duty to Assist doctrine compels the VA to retrieve and review your records.
Veterans who plan to file a claim for medical benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) do not need to request a copy of their military health record from the National Personnel Records Center. After a claim is filed, the VA will obtain the original health record from the NPRC. In addition, many health records were lent to the Department of Veterans Affairs prior to the 1973 Fire.
Veterans who filed a medical claim should contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in order to determine if their record is already on file. The VA Toll Free # is: 1-800-827-1000 - it will connect the caller to the nearest VA office.
Filing your VA Disability Claims
VA claims can be filed anytime online at https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage or by filling out and mailing in a VA Form 21-526EZ or working with a local Veteran Service Officer (VSO) who helps file claims.
If the VA denies a health condition as service-connected and you are not satisfied with any part of the outcome, you have the right to appeal the VA’s ruling. File a Decision Review or Appeal or file a supplemental claim with new evidence.
Veterans sometimes spend years appealing, requesting higher-level reviews, re-submitting denied claims, or applying for condition upgrades. A ‘no’ from the VA shouldn’t be the final answer for service-connected or secondary-connected disabilities (ailments caused or worsened by injuries or conditions caused in-service). The VA’s mission contains a Duty to Assist as well as the Benefit of the Doubt doctrine meaning a ratings decision tie goes to the veteran. A tie happens if a condition is just as likely caused by service as not.
Those who review claims – VA Rating Veterans Service Representatives (RVSR) – are human and may rate differently depending on timing, training, thoroughness of document review or policy changes. Stay engaged with the VA to recoup benefits earned and deserved for serving the country.
If you served in the middle-east (Afghanistan, Iraq, Gulf states, etc.), you are considered a Gulf War veteran and encouraged to add your information to the VA’s Burn Pit Registry for researchers’ and policymakers’ use to decide which health conditions are presumptively caused by exposure. Signing up in the Registry is not the same as filing for conditions caused by burn pit exposure.
Examples of commonly recognized conditions caused by deployment and burn pits are: tinnitus & hearing loss, sleep apnea, allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, upper respiratory condition, chronic cough, social adjustment disorder w/anger issues, short term memory loss & lack of concentration, anxiety conditions, chronic pain and back/knee/musculoskeletal conditions.
Military service often involves running, jumping and marching in boots, which may cause flat feet (pes planus). Wearing a helmet and body armor for extended periods of time may cause neck, back, hip, and knee and ankle pain. As Ft. Knox’s medical team, we encourage Soldiers to make appointments for all your healthcare needs – keeping our battle buddies healthy enhances Army readiness.
VA claims can be filed anytime by filling out a VA Form 21-526EZ or working with a local Veteran Service Officer (VSO) who helps file claims.
How To: VA Form 21-526EZ provides space for 15 conditions claimed. If more space is needed, write “CONTINUED” in block 15, then use page 2 of VA Form 4138 to list more conditions. Fill out your SSN in the top letter boxes, then type/write “CONTINUED”. Continue the same numbering format starting with #15 and listing conditions and causes (Ex. PTSD / Combat Deployments & Military stress / Strained in service).
Helpful claim-filing resources (no federal endorsement intended)


502-626-9823 or (502) 626-9830
Medical Records Requests 502-626-9830
Registration 502-626-9830
Fax (502) 624-9247
Line of Duty/Fit For Duty 502-626-9824
Invitational Travel orders 502-626-9824
Coding 502-626-9822
HIPAA 502-626-9832
Group email: usarmy.knox.medcom-irach.list.outpatient-records@mail.mil


7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. weekdays. Closed federal holidays. The Outpatient Records Section closes at 3:00 p.m. for training on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month.


Bldg 871, 2nd floor, Room 2416
200 Brule Street
Fort Knox, KY 40121  Outpatient Medical Records/Release of Information 2nd Floor, Room 2416
Don't forget to keep your family's information up-to-date in DEERS.